By Ethan Davis
The following safety equipment is needed during confined space entry:
(1) Body harness with attached connections for chain or rope hoist.
(2) Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), two units minimum.
(3) 20 LB ABC fire extinguisher when flammable materials are involved.
(4) Emergency escape breathing apparatus. Requirements for use should be determined on a case-by-case basis.
(5) Equipment (hoist, hand lines, etc.) for removing an incapacitated individual during an emergency.
(6) Access ladder.
(7) Atmospheric monitoring instrumentation.
When the use of special protective equipment (respirators, gloves, clothing, eye protection, etc.) is required, their use should be specified in the entry permit and all associated training requirements should be met.