By Ethan Davis
1. Are protective goggles or face shields provided and worn where there is any danger of flying particles or corrosive materials?
2. Are approved safety glasses required to be worn at all times in areas where there is a risk of eye injuries such as punctures, abrasions, contusions or burns?
3. Are employees who need corrective lenses (glasses or contacts) in working environments having harmful exposures, required to wear only approved safety glasses, protective goggles, or use other medically approved precautionary procedures.
4. Are protective gloves, aprons, shields, or other means provided and required where employees could be cut or where there is reasonably anticipated expo-sure to corrosive liquids, chemicals, blood, or other potentially infectious materials. See OSHA 29 CFR 1910.1030(b) for the definition of "other potentially infectious materials."
5. Are hard hats provided and worn where danger of falling objects exists?
6. Are hard hats inspected periodically for damage to the shell and suspension system?
7. Is appropriate foot protection required where there is the risk of foot injuries from hot, corrosive, poison-ous substances, falling objects, crushing or penetrating actions?
8. Are approved respirators provided for regular or emergency use where needed?
9. Is all protective equipment maintained in a sanitary condition and ready for use?
10. Do you have eye wash facilities and a quick Drench Shower within the work area where employees are ex-posed to injurious corrosive materials?
11. Where special equipment is needed for electrical workers, is it available?
12. Where food or beverages are consumed on the premises, are they consumed in areas where there is no exposure to toxic material, blood, or other potentially infectious materials?
13. Is protection against the effects of occupational noise exposure provided when sound levels exceed those of the OSHA noise standard?
14. Are adequate work procedures, protective clothing and equipment provided and used when cleaning up spilled toxic or otherwise hazardous materials or liquids?
15. Are there appropriate procedures in place for disposing of or decontaminating personal protective equipment contaminated with, or reasonably anticipated to be contaminated with, blood or other potentially infectious materials?